Thursday, January 22, 2015

Freshman, ah hum.

In what now I can only assume was a fit of misguided duty and intrigue, I agreed to teach a Freshman Seminar (although we now call these First-Year Seminars) this fall.  Although I am trained as a historian I do not teach in a history department, so I viewed this as an opportunity to return to my training.  As anyone who knows who follows the academic hiring market, jobs, especially tenure-track positions (heck, even permanent, decent full-time positions that allow for something resembling a decent life) are rare, so rare, that I was forced to look outside my training, and luckily, found a good school and a good department that appreciates the training I worked so hard to acquire. 

However, that opportunity came with a price, and that was teaching business ethics, and a quasi-history course on US business history, but only between 1860 and 1932 (a curious cut-off, no?).

No comments:

Post a Comment